Saturday, April 24, 2010

The home


Well, here I am, trying to blog again. I decided to show a few updates that I have done to the house so far and talk about being a home-owner.

Today was day number two in the battle against the pyracantha bushes in my back yard. I hate those things with a passion. There were very few casualties other than the plants. My arms look like I was trying to give a cat a bath...my pruning
sheers will never be the same again... While I was chopping the dang things down, I discovered a few different things. Here is a short list of my discoveries among the shrubbery...
- A knife
- 3 frisbees

- A barbie leg
- A railroad tie (actually, my rake found that under a pile of leaves...my wrists
and elbows didn't appreciate the abruptness of the discovery)
- A dead, mostly decayed animal... Cat? Rabbit? Not sure, didn't care to look closely enough to find out.
- A live cat that knows how to clim
b trees and come flying out at me to make sure my heart is still beating
- A bike pump that looks like it was from the 1930's
- Muscles in my stomach and back that I THOUGHT I was working on strengthening
but have realized that I haven't been as much as I thought.
- I don't have to go to the gym on the days that I'm going to do yard work.
- An ability to work by moonlight since projects always seem to take longer than you ever expect or plan

- The last half of the yard always takes MUCH MUCH longer than the first half of the yard
- Opera is NOT good for the yard work sound track
- I need to make sure to be good or else my personal hell will have a garden of ONLY pyrocantha
- Thorns CAN go through jeans and draw blood.
- I am stubborn enough to accomplish any task that just demands time and tenacity
- My ipod knows how long I can last and makes sure to last just as long :)
- I have a neighbor on the other side of the hedge! and all of her dogs, except the one without teeth, are very nice and won't cause any harm.
- This battle will be worth it eventually...

Pictures were taken to show the results of Battle 1. Battle 2 pictures will come soon, it was just too dark to take the pictures tonight.


2 comments:

Kathy said...

Hi Rach - i love what you are doing to your home - I hope to see it in person some day. Kathy Harker

rachie_lelei said...

Thanks! I'm really excited about it. It's definitely a LOT of work and sometimes I feel that there just isn't the time...but if I think of it all, one task at a time, it doesn't seem so overwhelming (most of the time ;). This one day I was talking to Dave (Rees) and he was talking me through turning off the water in my sink and I couldn't twist the knob. He offered to come up in the next day or so to help me with that and I said "I just need a boy that stays around just to help me fix things" and he told me "Those are called husbands Rachel"... Touche :)