Sunday, April 25, 2010

More of the house

Here are a few more pictures of the house and updates that have happened... No, I did not do all the updates today. I'm not THAT amazing...though still pretty amazing ;)
These are the pictures that Mom took of the house when I was considering buying it back in July.


Here is a picture of the furnace that is...wait for it...original to the house that was built in 1967!!!! I had quite the experience with it...the pilot light went out and I couldn't get it back on (which is exactly what happened with the water heater that ended up needing to be replaced... I wasn't so excited about the fact that I was living THAT deja vu again) and so I called the heater guys and they came and looked at the heater and said "Wow..that's old. Furnaces usually have a life span of 20 years or so and it looks like it has gone well past that time frame." He then proceeded to tell me that he is legally able to leave after lighting the pilot light that I asked him to light but that he REALLY would not feel comfortable with that. That the burn area was too large and was melting some wires that connect to the thermostat, that it burns really hot (which melted the carbon monoxide sensor that I had sitting on top of the furnace), that it had a gas leak, and a few other things that weren't working right. SO....I got a new heater (which was really nice because the house was around 50 degrees inside) and it is nice and energy efficient which made a nice little difference in my taxes this year. SO, my fear of my furnace spontaneously combusting and burning the house down has been eased a little bit.

Project #1...the floor. It looks SO much better. Thanks Mom for ALL your help with this!!!


Project #2 Painting the living room.


Project #3 Painting and updating the bathroom.

3 comments:

Jared Perkins said...

Wow! What an amazing transformation of the bathroom. Good job!

rachie_lelei said...

Thanks Jared. I still want to change the tiles in the bathtub/shower, but the furnace took that money. Maybe in the fall... Money is going into the yard in the summer...

drudolph_ii said...

That is an old furnace...however the one in my house has it beat by about 40 years!!! It's an ancient coal-fired furnace that's been converted to natural gas.